Calle 23 tequila is produced in Zapotlanejo from agaves from the Highland region of Jalisco (fields between Arandas and Tepatitlan). The Highlands region grows plants that produce the perfect tequila tasting profile that Calle 23 wanted to achieve.
Calle 23 tequila slowly cooks it's agaves in stainless steel autoclaves for 7 hours. They then let the temperature drop down for 3 more hours, thereby cooking the heart of the agave and ensuring the outside of the plant is not overcooked or burnt.
Calle 23 tequila uses stainless steel tanks and uses different yeasts depending on the style of tequila to be achieved: different from Blanco and Añejo, to the Reposado. Distinct tequilas are produced for the 3 expressions of Calle 23 family: the yeasts used and the length of fermentation are the parameters which differ between them. In order to obtain the profile Calle 23 like the best for each tequila:
- Blanco has been created with two specific yeasts allowing the agave flavour to express itself the best.
- For Reposado, one yeast is in common with the Blanco and Añejo, and one yeast is different in order to enhance the balance between agave & spiciness given by the initial tequila, and the slight wood character given by the aging.
- In the Añejo, wood being an major component of the final tequila, Calle 23 focus on the agave character of the initial tequila put in barrel, yeasts used are the same as in the Blanco.
Calle 23 tequila distills in stainless steel pot stills, made with copper serpentine inside the still.
- Calle 23 Blanco - distilled to aprox. 54% abv and diluted with distillery well water down to 40% abv. bottled.
- Calle 23 Reposado - distilled to aprox. 54% abv and aged in ex bourbon casks (Jack Danielʼs and Heaven Hillsʼs) for 8 months. When perfect rest is reached, the tequila is diluted with distillery well water down to 40% abv. and bottled.
- Calle 23 Añejo - distilled to aprox. 54% abv and aged in ex bourbon casks (Jack Danielʼs and Heaven Hillsʼs) for 16 months. When perfect rest is reached, the tequila is diluted with distillery well water down to 40% abv. and bottled.
Sophie Decobecq was born in Lille, northern France, back in the late seventies. Since a very young age the attraction to biochemistry drove her to study it at university, which she finished in record time. Her studies took her to Mexico City, where she first met 100% agave tequila and the whole aura around it.
Eager for new experiences she moved in 2000 to South Africa, where she was in charge of the production of the local distilled spirit made out of African agaves. There she met Julio Bermejo, US ambassador for tequila, who became a dear friend and with whom, later on, she discovered the world of San Francisco bars, opening her mind after meeting many spirit & cocktail aficionados.
In 2002, she moved back to Guadalajara, Mexico, where step by step she started to enter the masculine world of tequila, starting to do some consulting works for distilleries. That was a long and difficult process, being French and especially being a young woman. It was 2003 when she first started working on her very own project, what would become Calle 23, defining the right profiles she was looking for, joined after a few years by her team.
Sophie chose the Highlands region of Jalisco to harvest the agaves from, the fruity and spicy character of the plants appealing to her. The rest of the process taking place in the same area, in the town of Zapotlanejo. High altitude, with a hot climate, mixed with some heavy rains especially in the rainy season, gives the plants a great level of sugars. These taste notes, Sophie has done her best to keep and express in the tequila she produces.
3 years of hard work and many attempts, and she finally ended up with the perfect result she was looking for. Calle 23 was ready in the 3 profiles of blanco, reposado and Añejo. The spirit was ready, only a name was missing… celebrating those final tequila profiles with her team, she saw on the other side of the street the sign “Calle 23” and found this would be a great name for this great sharing moments. ! Salud !