Since 1927, when John Pedroncelli, Sr. purchased a vineyard and small winery in Sonoma County's Dry Creek Valley, two elements remain unchanged: the exceptional location of the Pedroncelli vineyards and the family's dedication to making fine wines.
Pedroncelli started off with selling grapes to home winemakers during the prohibition, in order to keep the vineyards going. This soon escalated into growing a small base of business during the 1930s and 1940s.
The second generation stepped in and joined their father - sons John and Jim, the former becoming winemaker in 1948 and the latter as sales director in 1955. They eventually officially purchased the winery in 1963.
Their line of wines began growing through vineyard expansion and diversification, to a boom time throughout the 1970s and 80s. Along with this came a growth in their sales base including national sales and international exports.
Managing to survive prohibition, now the 3rd generation of Pedroncelli’s are still working in the same vineyards 80 years on, with the fourth coming up the ranks.
Brothers John and Jim Pedroncelli are at the helm of the winery, and have been very involved with increasing the number of vineyards - now to 105 acres all in Dry Creek Valley – and encouraging a real commitment to sustainable farming. Cover crops are used to manage pests and increase the biodiversity of the vineyards, a clear water management scheme helps reduce any irrigation needed, and clever canopy management helps reduce the risk of mildew organically.
The total production is only 60,000 cases across a large range which we have been able to cherry pick 6 from.