Ruinart Champagne


The House of Ruinart was established in 1729, Nicolas Ruinart drafted the founding charter of Masion Ruinart, in turn establishing the first ever champagne-producing company.  Tunnelled into the subsoil of the Champagne region, at a depth of nearly 40 meters, the chalk quarries of Maison Ruinart are spread over two levels and 8 kilometers. These chalk cathedrals, which are still in use today for storing their champagnes, are the only ones in the city of Reims to be both registered as a UNESCO World Heritage Site and categorised as a historic site.